The Analytical Sciences Group operates GRC’s largest electron microscope facility, which consists of Electron microscopy. The facility is an essential tool for materials development, physics-based life prediction methodology, failure investigations, and many other materials and structures activities. The facility is heavily used by four GRC divisions and is in demand from several multi-center teams such as the NESC.
- Eight electron microscopes
- Four x-ray diffraction units
- Optical microscopy
- All associated specimen preparation metallographic equipment
- Supports all mission directorate programs
- Alloy development for improved propulsion systems
- Life/performance verification and prediction for advanced power and propulsion systems
- Processing development to adapt materials to unique space system requirements
- Understanding of failure mechanisms and identification of root causes.
- Advanced materials composition-property–Microstructure relationship
- Failure investigation and analysis
- Identify presence of interface reactions in co-joined materials
Point of Contact: Michael V. Nathal, 216-433-9516