To provide exceptional value to NASA and external customers by conducting leading edge research and development in Communications, Instrumentation and Controls technologies for aerospace systems.
Our mission is accomplished by:
- Performing research and developing technologies that are relevant to customer goals and objectives.
- Delivering on our promises within cost and schedule.
- Developing and maintaining excellent relationships with our customers, partners, and stakeholders.
- Broadly disseminating scientific information and knowledge through publications, presentations and technology transfer.
Our mission is accomplished through:
- A highly skilled and motivated workforce and an integrated management team.
- Strong collaboration within GRC, with other Centers, industry, academia and other government agencies.
- State of the art facilities and laboratories.
- Proactive efforts to identify technological gaps and future needs and the means to address them.
Our research and technology products include:
- Communication and Navigation Devices, Components, Systems, Networks and Architectures for Earth, Near-Earth, Lunar and Planetary Missions.
- Harsh Environment Smart Sensor, Actuator and Electronic Technologies, Photonic Devices, Instrumentation, Nondestructive Evaluation Methods, Mobile Sensing Platforms, Optical Measurement Techniques, Controls and Health Management Aimed at Enabling Intelligent Aerospace Systems.
Research Focus Areas
- Antenna Components & Systems
- Microwave Components & Systems
- RF and Optical Propagation
- Antenna Metrology
- Nanotechnology (nanoantennas & nanoelectronics)
- Intelligent Engine Controls
- Active Engine Component Controls
- Engine Gas Path Diagnostics
- Propulsion Health Management
- Propulsion System Dynamic Modeling and Simulation
- Advanced Engine Control Concepts
- Cooperative Control of Mobile Robots
- Software Defined Radios
- Advanced Navigation Technology
- EVA Radio Development
- Surface Wireless Communications
- Integrated Audio Technology
- Model-Based Signal Processing
- Space High Power Traveling Wave Tube/Solid State Power Amplifiers
- Microwave and Wireless Components and Circuits
- 3-D Electromagnetic Modeling
- Electronic Materials for Semiconductors and Vacuum Electronic Devices
- Radiofrequency Photonics
- Optical Flow Measurements
- Optical Surface Measurements
- Propulsion Health Monitoring & Physics-based Modeling
- NDE Methods Development
- Flight Electronics Development
- Robotics Technology Development
- Photonics Research
- Network Technology
- Aeronautical Communication Systems
- Space Communication Architectures
- Communication Network Architectures
- Network-Centric Operations
- Simulation and Modeling
- Harsh Environment, Smart Sensor, Actuator and Electronic Technologies
- Silicon Carbide Sensors, Electronics and Crystal Growth
- Chemical Gas Sensors
- Thin Film Physical Sensors
- Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems
- Nano-Electro-Mechanical Systems